St. Joseph’s Oratory is located near the western exit of Mount Royal Park and is dedicated to the patron saint of Canada. The Renaissance-style church dates back to 1904 and is the biggest in all of Canada!
This Roman Catholic minor basilica and national shrine, which is located on Mont Royal’s Summit in Montreal is said to have one of the largest domes in all the world.
Some History on St. Joseph’s Oratory
The construction of St. Joseph’s Oratory was started in 1904 by Saint Andre Bessette, but in 1917 a larger version of the church was built with a seating capacity of 1,000. The construction of the modern St. Joseph’s Oratory began in 1924 and was completed in 1967.
The Oratory was named a National Historic Site of Canada on its 100th anniversary in 2004.
Visit St. Joseph’s Oratory church museum to find none other than Brother André’s heart! Each year, over 2 million pilgrims and visitors make their way to the Oratory.
Enter the Votive Chapel set between Mount Royal rock and the crypt church. You’ll find, in this Art Deco architectural style crutches and canes left behind by pilgrims who were healed during Brother André’s lifetime. These belongings left behind are called ex-votos and they are hung in the chapel between its pillars.
In the Votive Chapel, in an alcove, is the black marble tomb of Saint Andre.
St. Joseph’s Oratory Map
Where: 3800 Queen Mary Road, near the Cote-des-Neiges intersection. By metro, exit at Cote-des-Neiges or Snowdon.
Other Montreal Attractions: Tour De Levis – Montreal Landmark with Panoramic Views